The application submission process for the LCC Certificate Program starting spring/summer is now closed.
If you would like to be notified when applications open for 2019, please write to email@example.com.
- - - - - - - - - -
Are you committed to building stronger and broader labour and social justice movements? Do you want a better understanding of the forces that shape workers’ lives? Do you want to be part of an activist network, and build up your research and strategic planning skills? Are you an activist with a demonstrated commitment to playing a leadership role in your union and building the labour movement for the future?
If so, then the new LCC Certificate Program is for you!
First offered over 50 years ago, the LCC continues to deliver in-depth courses on issues related to work and the rights of workers in Canada. Graduates are equipped to take on leadership roles in their union, their labour council and the wider labour movement for the benefit of all workers.
- About the Labour College of Canada (LCC)
- What is the new LCC Certificate Program?
- How does the new program work? When and where are the courses offered?
- Who should apply?
- HOW TO APPLY
- Costs Related to sending a student to the LCC Certificate Program
About the Labour College of Canada (LCC)
Post-secondary level learning created by, for and with workers and their unions. For 50 years the Labour College of Canada has been a catalyst for leadership in the labour and social justice movements in Canada.
- Union run post-secondary level study
- Rooted in workers’ experience, struggles and victories
- Unique place for deeper reflection and visioning across unions from all parts of the country
- 50 years + of fostering labour and community leadership
What is the new LCC Certificate Program?
A labour studies and leadership program for labour active union members that supports critical thinking and collaborative learning in a flexible format.
The LCC Certificate Program:
- Builds leadership skills and provides leadership tools
- Fosters empowerment, self-confidence and new networks of labour leaders
- Strengthens critical thinking skills
- Examines working class struggles and human rights issues that affect all workers
- Creates change!
How does the new program work? When and where are the courses offered?
Continuing on the success of the previous Labour College programs, the new LCC Certificate Program built on creating collaborative learning moments and student cohorts from start to finish. The new program offers greater flexibility by blending online and in-class learning.
Areas of study will include:
- Political Economy
- Theory and Practice of Unions
- Labour History and History of Work
- Organizing and Education for Change
- Emerging Issues for the New Working Class
- and more...
The program is now divided into three sessions that can be taken in any order, in multiple locations. Each session includes an on-line and in-person component. All sessions will require preparation and reading and some work following each session related to an independent project (LCC Project).
- In-class (week-long) sessions take place during CLC week-long schools in BC and/or Ontario.
- Courses start at noon on the Sunday and end by 3 pm on the Friday.
Who should apply?
Union members from CLC-affiliated unions who:
- have attended one or more labour education courses
- are or have been active in their union (elected position, active volunteer, committee member, etc.)
- are active in social and economic justice issues in their community
Members of equity-seeking groups: Women workers, workers of colour, workers with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, two-spirit, intersex and Aboriginal workers are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
- Students must submit an application using the LCC application form. The form will be made available once the next application process is announced.
Costs related to sending a student to the LCC Certificate Program
- for attending and completing the program in 15 months - $3000
- for attending and completing the program in 26 months- $3250
Meals and accommodation:
- $1000 to $1450 per week-long course (rates dependant on location and individual or shared accommodation)
Release time and travel:
These amounts will vary, based on the provisions and discretion of each sponsoring union. They are determined locally, and not by the LCC. For more information, download the fee schedule.
If you have any questions regarding the LCC Certificate Program or the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.