The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) Young Workers Program and the United Way Centraide Canada (UWCC) are pleased to present the first annual CLC/UWCC Post-Secondary Scholarship.
The CLC and the UWCC are long-time partners in taking action to create prosperous, inclusive, diverse and respectful communities, safer workplaces, and a fairer Canada for working people. We recognize that post-secondary education provides important opportunities for young people but is out of reach for many working class people due to ever-increasing tuition fees.
Young workers today are facing many social and workplace issues. However, many have taken these challenges as an opportunity to create positive change, and impact their communities for the better. This scholarship is offered in recognition of the efforts and commitment of young workers across Canada who have demonstrated commitment to positively impacting social and workplace issues in their community.
We are incredibly proud to offer a scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to support a young activist who is starting their first year of full-time post-secondary study in September 2017.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- current union member, or the child/dependent of a union member, that is affiliated to the CLC;
- age 30 or under as of September 1, 2017;
- enrolled for September 2017 to enter their first year of full-time study at a Canadian public post-secondary institution: university program (leading to a degree) or college program (leading to a diploma or certificate);
- does not have any prior post-secondary studies; and
- currently enrolled or not more than two years out of secondary school.
Applicants will be required to submit:
- a personal information application;
- a brief resume outlining non-academic interests and activities as well as goals for the future;
- proof of acceptance/statement of intention to study at a Canadian, public post-secondary education institute; and
- an essay that demonstrates labour/community involvement on the topic outlined in the application form.
The deadline for receipt of applications is August 9, 2017. This year’s winner will be announced on September 1, 2017.
The Canadian Labour Congress is the largest labour organization in Canada, bringing together dozens of national and international unions, provincial and territorial federations of labour and community-based labour councils to represent 3.3 million workers.
United Way is a federated network of over 100 local United Way offices and each work to locally raise funds and invest in improving lives in its community. United Way Centraide Canada is the national office and provides leadership, guidance and support to local United Ways.
The CLC and UWCC are committed to social justice and equity and we encourage women, people of colour, Aboriginal people, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities and those from other equity seeking backgrounds to apply for this scholarship.
Please circulate this call for applications to help ensure that this scholarship is widely shared.