For more than 30 years Canada's unions have stood up for the LGBTQ community
- We’ve been there at work, in the courts, and in the streets to defend the rights of our members, their partners and their families.
- We’ve been there to protest injustice and violence. We’ve taken on and won court cases to end discrimination.
- We’ve won labour arbitrations for fair and equal treatment.
- We’ve changed laws and transformed our communities and our country.
- And we still have work to do.
Together We've changed the law!
Working together with communities and allies, unions have helped gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans and queer people win:
- the right to equal benefits for our partners and children
- the same right to bereavement leave, family leave,
- and parental leave days as other workers
- the same right to pension benefits for our partners
- the right to a safe and harassment-free workplace
- legal recognition of equal marriage
- the inclusion of gender identity in provincial
- and territorial human rights codeser We've changed the law!