Social Justice and Democracy

Canadians can’t afford for-profit long-term care

May 19, 2022

Bruske: It’s time to get the profit out of care

OTTAWA –– A new report shows billions of dollars in public funds for long-term care have been diverted from patient care into the pockets of shareholders. Canada’s unions call on the federal government to make long-term care part of Canada’s public health care system.

“This report is brutal evidence of higher death rates and lower levels of care at for‑profit long‑term care homes across Ontario,” said Bea Bruske, President of the Canadian Labour Congress. “Despite all this, Conservatives want more private care homes and privatized health care services. We can’t let that happen.”

Canadians for Tax Fairness released the report, Careless Profits, today. Their analysis shows that over the last decade $3.8 billion in public funds have been converted to profits instead of going to residents or staffing. They also estimate that 1,400 lives could have been saved during the pandemic if those funds had been spent on better care. 

For decades, Ontario’s long-term care sector has been weakened by chronic underfunding, severe staffing shortages and poor oversight. Staff at for-profit homes have been sounding the alarm for years, and they were proven right when the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

As of May 18, 2022, Ontario accounted for one-third of all long‑term care resident deaths in Canada. Ontario has the highest proportion of for-profit long-term care homes in Canada.

“At the start of the pandemic 80 percent of deaths from COVID-19 were in long‑term care homes and still the focus was on profits, not patient care. It’s despicable,” said Bruske. “It’s time to eliminate for-profit care homes and focus on decent jobs in the industry as it becomes more and more important to our population.” 

Ontario’s government has announced funding for new long-term care beds. The majority of those will go to for-profit companies, including those with some of the worst track records.

-30-

To arrange an interview, please contact:
CLC Media Relations
media@clcctc.ca
613-526-7426

  • Trade and International Affairs
  • BRUSKE: Canada Must Stand Firm for a Trade Deal That Delivers for Workers

    August 18, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Jobs, Economy and Environment
  • Second Labour Code submission warns Ottawa not to entrench powers to end legal strikes

    August 5, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Forward Together
  • Emancipation Day: Justice requires action, not just reflection.

    July 31, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Anti-Scab
  • Statement from Bea Bruske, President of the Canadian Labour Congress

    July 23, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Anti-Scab
  • Statement from Bea Bruske, President of the Canadian Labour Congress

    July 23, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Forward Together
  • Letter to the Prime Minister: Call for federal acknowledgement and apology for Canada’s role in the trafficking of enslaved Africans

    July 21, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Forward Together
  • New poll: Canadians draw a line: protect workers, don’t restrict strikes

    July 21, 2026
    Click to open the link
  • Social Justice and Democracy
  • Statement from the Canadian Labour Congress in Solidarity with Striking BC Nurses

    July 10, 2026
    Click to open the link